send us a message
Founder:
Zaporizhzhya Regional State Administration,
Department of Culture, Tourism, Nationalities and Religions
Zaporozhye Regional Tourist Information Centre

The old Alexandrovsk

The emergence of Alexander (of 1921 Zaporizhzhya) associated with the construction in 70 years of the XVIII century. Dneprovskoy line of fortifications. Construction Oleksandrivska fortress was started August 26, 1770. The settlement, which came along with the fortress, gave rise to future mistu.v

In 1785 Alexander Fortress and suburb turned into offices, and in 1806 received the status Alexandrovsk county town.

In the second half of XIX century. there were large industrial enterprises, such as agricultural equipment factory Copp, agricultural machinery plant J. Badovskoho, plant and agricultural equipment Leppa Valmana (now "AvtoZAZ"). Alexandrovsk gradually turned into one of the centers of agricultural machinery in Ukraine. Development of construction promoted in the 1870's the railroad that connected Alexandrovsk with Moscow and the Crimea.

Four times a year in trade fairs were held, operated 440 stores and shops, 3 banks.

At the end of XIX century. Alexander lived to 63.6 thousand people, there were seven areas, 95 streets, 8500 houses. In 1893 had a water pipe in 1910 was built power plant.

There were 6 secondary schools, 33 elementary schools, 2 schools, the People's House, 3 cinemas, 2 city library, 4 theaters, 2 town gardens and park.

With the outbreak of World War II in the Alexander evacuated: from Warsaw - central auto workshop, Riga - wire factory in Petrograd - aircraft engine plant (today - "Motor Sich").

Today, the borders of the central part of the old town are limited from west to east Kirov Street and Railroad, north to south street Gryaznov and embankment of the river wet Moskovka. The main line Alexander, as now, was the Cathedral Street (now Lenin). It housed the St. Michael Church, City Theatre, shopping malls, banks, profitable buildings, etc.

During World War II, old town suffered greatly. Many old buildings have been lost forever. Among the surviving kam'yanyts Cathedral Street feature the first three-income house J. Leszczynski (1901) (Lenin Avenue, 52). Four-income building in Art Nouveau style built at the Cathedral in 1912, O. Lanshyn (Lenin Avenue, 48). Up to 60 -'s facade is decorated with fine sculpture.

On this same street was also the highest building in Alexander's, a mainstay of its central part - St. Michael Church, built in 1886 - 1890 th on the site of the old stone-wooden church. The bell tower, 44.5 meters in height, distance themselves attracted to looks. At the end of the 1920s, the church was closed, but not destroyed. Call given for scrap, which is divide dozens of icons - no one knows. During World War II next to the cathedral by German troops buried their dead. Then the building of the cathedral was hit hard, and in 1943 all had been destroyed. Today the church restored, but now ongoing restoration work.

Like a hundred years ago the main street of the city is decorated building Zemstvo hospital. With its facade of the townspeople still watching Angel. Now it posted one of the Regional Children's Hospital (Lenina, 70).

Equally important was Yecaterinoslav Street (now St.. Gorky). She passed through Alexandrovsk crews from the provincial center in the Crimea. That is why there were so many hotels. Impressive even the name of "Central", "Grand Hotel", "Metropol", "Petrograd", "North". Only Shendelya house, which was hotel "Russia" (Gorkogo, 27) survived to our time.

Favorite vacation spot townspeople became National House of Katerynoslav (Gorkogo, 71), built in 1899 - 1902 It operated movie house, were writers, including Vladimir Mayakovsky. There was the first municipal power (1910). Its original building with two towers and now adorns the city (street Gorky, 73).

Opposite the National House and the power station was a large area of ​​Pushkin. In its place in 1903 was divided into square. In 1927, a monument dedicated to the tenth anniversary of the 1917 revolution.

Was crowded and Trinity Street (now St.. Chekistov). Its decoration has become a three-storey building of city council, built in Art Nouveau style in 1913 - 1915 years (St. Chekistov, 29). The facade of the building is decorated with stucco, half-Ionic order, and the roof - a large dome. Now this house is a museum.

Across the street from the city council is profitable home Bilenke M. (str Chekistov, 27), built in 1909 to the Revolution there was for the Russian Foreign Trade Bank. After nationalization in the house acted Alexander alliance of anarchists, who in his 1917 - 1918 рр. visited N. Makhno.

At st. KGB, 25 is building the synagogue J. Leszczynski (1901). Below the streets of the Cathedral, next to the theater, hotel was "Theater." In its place today is a hotel with the same name, but the house in which it is built in the 1950's

Much attention was given to Alexander in quality education. Buildings in which the early twentieth century. Schools were not significantly changed their destination and at the beginning of the XXI century. Yes, I and III cases Zaporizhzhya National University located in houses male and female gymnasiums Alexander. A main building of the National Technical University is located in the house Olexandrivs'ke Mechanics and Technical College. Opposite him, condensed from the four streets, is the first Alexander Garden.

Modern streets of the old town is much different from those that were. Instead of pavement came asphalt, gas lanterns have changed electric, once small stunted trees are large trees in the shadow of whose pleasant stroll. Here and there in the slender rows of old houses bursts into modern buildings. But rest and pleasure, with nothing made like a small cozy town atmosphere that attracts people like a magnet.